This is by far my favorite drink. I didn’t understand how people could like the taste of alcohol before I tasted this amazing concoction. I have one wine and two mixed drinks that I like out of everything I’ve ever had, but I know I still have thousands of different drinks I could try and possibly love. But this right here, this gloriously fizzy and refreshing mint and lime combo is my favorite.
I love it even without the alcohol (so maybe I still don’t like the taste of alcohol…). Just like how I’m lacking the adult superpower to not be afraid of the dark, I don’t think my taste buds have succumbed to the taste of alcohol, yet. But hey, being young at heart is a good thing…right?
Anyways, this recipe is super easy, only 5 ingredients and takes 5 minutes! There is a bit of customization to it (as with most drinks). If you are sensitive to sweets, you can adjust the sugar used in muddling the mint and lime to your taste or use soda water in place of lemon-lime soda. I wouldn’t recommend taking the granulated sugar completely out though. The coarseness of the sugar granules helps to release the juice and oils from the mint and lime, and it’s pretty essential to the overall flavor. But, you do you.
Lastly, if you are going to make your drink all fancy, I recommend learning how to properly cut a lime. I like this video because the first method it demonstrates is the traditional way you will see a lime cut, but most people don’t tell you to take the center pith (white and bitter stuff in citrus fruits) out. However, I recommend cutting the lime using the second method the video gives. In the second method, there is no center pith to deal with but you will also get more appealing segments in your wedges (like the lime in my picture below). This way also makes it easier to get all the juice out of the lime. On to the recipe!
This isn’t my recipe, but rather Derek who is a bartender and has way more credibility than the girl who doesn’t even like alcohol (me).
The Perfect Mojito
A refreshingly light and effervescent drink, perfect for a hot summers day, or in your PJ's at midnight eating pizza
- 3 lime wedges (~1/2 a lime, learn how to cut a lime like a cool person)
- 1 mint sprig (4-5 leaves)
- 1-3 teaspoons sugar
- 1-2 1/2 oz white rum (
I recommendDerek recommends Bacardi)
- 8oz lemon-lime soda (like Sprite) or soda water (like Club Soda)
- Muddle the lime, mint, and sugar. Place your lime, mint, and sugar in the bottom of an 8-12 oz tall glass and muddle together with a muddler, or the opposite end of a wooden spoon/serving ladle (or any other blunt, round handled object).
- Add Rum. Add rum to taste. Since I don’t actually like the taste of alcohol, I only add 1 oz of rum, Derek adds 2 oz, you do you.
- Add Ice. Fill your glass with ice, or whatever you like.
- Add soda. Fill the glass with your lemon-lime soda or soda water.
- Serve. If you want to be all fancy you can add a mint sprig or lime to the top of the glass. I highly recommend drinking with a straw.
Also, you can add other fruit to the mojito to give it more flavor. I would recommend using pomegranate juice or blueberries muddled with the mint and lime. Let me know what drink is your favorite, maybe I’ll like it!